Greek English
 
 
Contact Us
Community Council of Potamiou
4780, Potamiou, Limassol
Tel: 25942312, 99608294
Fax: 25942041
 
Home Page / Church / Chapels / Church of Agia Marina
Print this page
Church of Agia Marina

The church of Agia Marina, the main church of the community, is located at the entrance of Potamiou. It is a three-roomed church of byzantine type with an octagonal dome, which was constructed in the middle of the 16th century. In particular, according to an inscription on the south entrance of the church, the church is dated back to 1551.   

The church is built with local stone, which, as Karouzis remarks, “has remained intact since the 16th century”. The interior of the church is adorned by a wooden iconostasis, which has been created recently. What is also worth mentioning is that the iconostasis bears some 19th centuries icons. The church is 20 metres long and 12 metres wide. 

Sources: 
Potamiou Community Council 
Giorgos Karouzis, Strolling Around Cyprus, Lemesos, City and District, Lefkosia 2001